UNITED NATIONS, - After one month of military operations to retake Iraq's Mosul from the Daesh, almost 60,000 people have been registered as displaced, and this number went up every day, a UN spokesman said here.
"A critical priority for humanitarian organisations is to ensure that camp capacity keeps pace with the growing displacement," Farhan Haq, the deputy UN spokesman, told reporters here, citing the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
Some 45,000 people were already accommodated in camps and a further 47,000 displaced people can be accommodated in camps, he said, adding that, construction at other sites was accelerating to create capacity for an additional 453,000 people.
"Up until now, emergency response missions close to the front lines have reached over 69,000 people, with emergency food, water and basic hygiene items," he said.
In terms of funding of the response, as of Nov 17, 183 million U.S. dollars had been confirmed for the Mosul Flash Appeal, representing 65 percent of the 284 million dollars requested.
Humanitarian partners were also seeking funding for the 2016 Iraq Humanitarian Response Plan, which was launched in Jan. The plan requests 861 million dollars to support 7.3 million vulnerable Iraqis across the country.
To date, 69 percent of this requirement has been received, Haq said.
Source: Nam News Network