Search
Close this search box.

FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer Resigns After Criticism of Infantino’s Business Plan


Zurich: FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, has left his post weeks after publicly criticizing FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s plan to involve private investors in the commercial rights to the federation’s competitions, including the World Cup.

According to National Iraqi News Agency, a FIFA spokesperson stated that “the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer ended on August 17, 2026.” The spokesperson added, “FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him all the best for the future,” confirming that “no further comment will be made on the matter.”

Lamour’s departure, at the age of 45, comes weeks after he sharply criticized Infantino’s “FIFA Forward Enterprise” proposal, which aims to create a commercial entity to manage the commercial rights to the federation’s competitions, with the possibility of selling a stake in it to private investors.

In a statement issued on July 31, Lamour said that FIFA staff felt they had been “misled” by what
he described as a lack of transparency in the project’s planning over the preceding months, adding that they “deserve better treatment than contempt and intimidation.”

The French official described the project as “one man’s project” and said it was time for football leaders to make the right decisions about it, adding that if his stance would lead to him losing his job, “so be it,” emphasizing that he would understand and respect the decision.

Lamour’s remarks came hours after the resignation of Carlos Cordeiro, a senior advisor to the FIFA president, in protest against the project, calling on senior federation officials to voice their opinions on it.

The proposal sparked widespread opposition within the football community, especially after reports revealed a plan to create a commercial entity valued at approximately $20 billion, with the possibility of private sector investors holding a stake, raising concerns about the future of FIFA’s commercial rights.

On August 1, FIFA announced that the project woul
d not proceed, after it caused widespread divisions and objections within the global football community. Continental federations and European club officials also announced their opposition to the proposal, amid calls for greater transparency and accountability within the federation.

Lamour was previously close to Infantino, having worked with him at UEFA before moving to FIFA, where he served as Chief Operating Officer for two years.

His departure comes at a time when Infantino is facing increasing pressure within world football, stemming from the fallout of the FIFA Forward Enterprise project and declining confidence in his leadership from several federations and stakeholders in the game.