BRUSSELS, Belgium, June 4 – The United Nations launched an appeal on Thursday, for half a billion dollars in international aid, to help tackle a worsening humanitarian crisis in Iraq, triggered by the conflict with the IS militants, it was reported.
Lise Grande, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator for Iraq, launched the appeal in Brussels, and said, the United Nations would be forced to slash or shut down more than half its aid operations in Iraq, without an immediate injection of new funds.
The world body said, it was asking donors for $497 million to pay for shelter, food and water, over the next six months, for 5.6 million people, displaced or affected by violence between Iraqi government forces and IS militants.
“The crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex and volatile anywhere in the world,” Grande said in a statement.
Three million people have been displaced within Iraq, since the beginning of last year.